04-07 Oct 2021
15:00 Singapore time
04-07 Oct 2021
08:00 London time
18-21 Oct 2021
09:00 Houston time
This course is aimed at executives evaluating taking a position on LNG freight or seeking to benefit from freight-led arbitrage opportunities in their portfolio. It looks beyond the headline grabbing charter rates and looks at what drives the actual net return, what ship owners are looking for when offering a ship for employment opportunities, and how smart scheduling on a lower charter rate can still generate a healthy income. The course will also benefit operational and technical staff to foster a better understanding how the professional and tight execution of voyage operations and optimisation impacts overall bottom line performance. Business analysts and similar roles evaluating LNG business proposals will benefit from getting a much better understanding what drives unit costs and charter rates respectively.
What will you learn?
On completion, participants will be able to learn, develop and understand:
- The design principles of different LNG carriers in terms of size, cargo containment and propulsion, how this impacts their operability and – ultimately – their profitability.
- The fundamentals by which to measure a ship’s commercial performance, not only against its headline charter rate but marked to market.
- The drivers for the (significant) OPEX and CAPEX element of LNG carriers’ overall unit costs, and how this imposes differentiated floors on market rates.
- The differences between tramline vs spot trading or evaluating arbitrage opportunities: what to look for in terms of tank condition, positioning costs, ballast bonus.
- Maintain professional day to day operational and scheduling discipline along with accountability and awareness of areas of profit leakage.
Who should attend?
- LNG schedulers, cargo operators
- Vessel managers interfacing with charterers
- Traditional long-term time charter shipowners, looking to embrace spot employment
- Export led LNG projects looking to charter-in supplementary or replacement vessels
- LNG importers evaluating FOB procurement strategies
- Financiers, Legal advisers and those involved in the commercial chain
Questions about the course?
Why don't you schedule a free Microsoft Teams meeting with one of our advisors at a time convenient to you?
Our LNG Expert
Meet your trainer
Paul has over 40 years’ experience in the maritime and energy industry. Starting as dual-certified officer on tankers and, after obtaining an MSc in International Shipping, came ashore with Shell Trading and Shipping, initially as Business Analyst followed by, Crude, CPP and LPG tanker Charterer, Global Head of Claims, Demurrage and Cargo Care as well as Freight and Trading Operations.
From 2002 onwards, Paul became involved in the LNG business; in Supply Trading, as Head of Global LNG Operations before moving to Qatar as VP Shipping for a newfound marketing entity. He returned to London in 2010 to join Shipping & Maritime as Manager Fleet Operations from where he retired in July 2017. Paul has since started a consultancy, advising on a variety of tanker and LNG related opportunities, as well as devising and as Course Director on a range of topics such as the Fundamentals of LNG Shipping & Operations, LNG Handling and Terminal Interface, LNG Bunkering and (LNG) Freight Economics.
Due to the global pandemic all our courses are now delivered virtually using MS Teams & Zoom platforms
All our classroom sessions are suspended due to the global pandemic. We will resume our classroom delivery once the pandemic is over and travel restrictions lifted
All our courses are available In-House and can be tailored to your specific needs. If you are interested in having this course either in your office or in any location of your choice, please complete the form below and one of our advisors will be in touch with you shortly.
Do you have ten or more people interested in attending this course? Do you want to tailor it to meet your company’s exact requirements? If you’d like to do either of these, we can bring this course to your company’s office. You could make a significant saving by eliminating your travel and accommodation costs.
If you want to run this course at a location convenient to you or if you want a completely customised learning solution, we can help.
We produce learning solutions that are completely unique to your business. We’ll guide you through the whole process, from the initial consultancy to evaluating the success of the full learning experience. Our learning specialists ensure you get the maximum return on your training investment
Questions about the course?
Why don't you schedule your FREE Microsoft Teams meeting with one of our advisors?
Restrict your travel not your training
Don't miss out!
Subscribe to our newsletter and get updated with all our upcoming courses